3.04.2006

The Perfect Medicine

God Bless Boxing! That's right, I said it...And I mean it! I finally managed to get caught up on a fight I missed February 25, because I was busy doing other things that day. Those of you who follow the sport know which fight I am talking about. For those of you who don't-- "Sugar Shane" Mosley and Fernando Vargas. These guys have to be two of my favorite contenders in the 154LB. Division, and watching them battle it out was just what I needed to chill out!

(Ok, not a fan of boxing? Tough shit! This is the sport that brought me back to Blogland so you'll have to deal. I love, love, LOVE boxing...and my incredible roomie Coacharob is now "forced" to take part in this obsession of mine as well. So, if she can suffer quietly so can the rest of you.)

Promo Photo before the big fight.

Sugar Shane is on the left, Vargas is on the right.

This was Sugar Shane's last fight in this weight class, and Vargas seemed a shoe-in for victory. However, in classic Vargas style he had trouble connecting with speed AND power, and Sugar wore him down midway through the 5th round. While I like Vargas I often find myself irritated by the way he "telegraphs" his next move, and by the fact he is horrible at defending his left side. Sugar made excellent use of these two factors to bring home the win. Vargas however, went home with a badly swollen left eye, and a not-so- pretty right one. The Official finally called the fight in the 10th round because Vargas was having trouble seeing and was not able to maintain his balance or defend himself vigorously. That means Sugar won by TKO (that is a Technical Knock Out for those who may not know)-- a great way to end his career in this weight class.
By no means was this pretty fight, not in the technical sense of the word anyway, but it always thrilling to watch when two men with such differences in their styles go toe-to-toe. In fact it was sooo thrilling I had to blog about it, and now you are being graced with my presence once more.
So, God bless boxing --it is the perfect medicine for me when I am in a funk, and bless the fighters who inspire me...may they stay in the ring long enough to help me blog another day! And to Vargas...speed, accuracy, protect that left side already, and while you're at it make use of that reach you've got-- sheesh!!!

8 Comments:

Blogger TequilaGuy said...

Oh yeah ... me too, I love a good fight! Thanks for watching that for me.

5.3.06  
Blogger The Volpinator said...

ok guys, really don't like boxing that much...don't understand why two grown men want to beat the shit out of each other. However, it wasn't that bad. I did enjoy parts of it probably more for the statistical scoring element than for the actual jabs and crosses. That and watching Vargas' eye swell shut!

5.3.06  
Blogger Miss Innocent said...

That's my girl!

I am gonna get her hooked y'all just wait and see!!

Tequila Guy, YOu are welcome as always, too bad you didn't get to see it for yourself...it was AWESOME!

5.3.06  
Blogger PackerPundit said...

okay you cheated... you said no post till tomorrow and bam... I come in here and you posted...ed.

who won the fight?
It was on pay per view wasn't it??

anyway... I'm not a huge boxing fan but I can watch it... my dad's into it... when he was a Hockey player he was a bit of a goon

5.3.06  
Blogger PackerPundit said...

oh the sugar dude won... i must have been smoking crack when I read this the first time

5.3.06  
Blogger Miss Innocent said...

Romey dearest the fact that you aren't sure if you were smoking crack or not scares me...LOL!

Yup, my boy Sugar Shane whooped some ass, it was a grrreat fight!

5.3.06  
Blogger KJ said...

Boxers have good arms, shoulders, stomachs, backs.....

Ah hell, boxers are hot!!!

6.3.06  
Blogger Miss Innocent said...

True Dat Kristen, but that is honestly NOT why I watch it!

I appreciate the strategy, the stamina, the athleticism, and I looove the "whoosh" sound of gloves flying through the air at high speeds! Everything about boxing is powerful...it's the best!

Plus, it's usually all the excuse I need to smoke expensive cigars!

6.3.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home